A plasmoid QML replacement to my Conky clock

After my post with a prototype of a clock, I got good advice on how to get the latest Plasmate, and then I found another clock with a transparent background. So, I got to work to make my prototype actually work.
In the process, I lost the original QML file, so I had to start from scratch (or from a copy + paste, you know).
Here’s what it looks like, installed on my desktop.

clock3

You can find the code here.

About asoliverez

Free Software developer, KDE e.V. member, political activist at SoftwareLibreConCFK, Zen Buddhist, son of a retired physicist and politician ,and a Literature professor; husband of a beautiful QA consultant, and father of the cutest daughter

9 thoughts on “A plasmoid QML replacement to my Conky clock

1. 06/02/2013 at 00:59

Very nice, blends in really well with the background. :)

I’ve done a few touchups to the code, merge them as you like: http://vizzzion.org/stuff/plasma/heikuclock-touchups.diff

2. 06/02/2013 at 01:00

Ow, the changes i’ve done are:

commit cd1a941fcf3a331345c0423616e8ad7fb6d2f083
    Author: Sebastian Kügler
    Date: Wed Feb 6 04:50:56 2013 +0100

Various improvements:

– use PlasmaComponents.Label instead of Text
    – no theme instance needed
    – clean up imports
    – make sure line color also works with dark themes

commit aaf059c126ee46a409a6512469cec75849b4c5b9
    Author: Sebastian Kügler
    Date: Wed Feb 6 04:48:05 2013 +0100

exclude .git directory from installation

I wasn’t able to push a new branch to your scratch repo.

1. 06/02/2013 at 08:22

Thanks a lot! I’ll merge them

3. mbolo
    06/02/2013 at 17:30

I love your simplistic plasmoid. it looks awesome with dark themes though it does not work that well with “bright” themes such as “air”. there is a reason they use this white blur behind the black text. but that would remove the simplicity. thankfully qml is easy to adjust so i just set the color to “white” and i am happy with that. i am not sure if using “theme.HighlightColor” for the coloring the “day ” is a good idea in general. but it sure looks nice with darker plasma themes.

what do you think about making the color configurable via the settings ?
    anyway i would love to see a plasmoid like this among the standard plasmoids.

cheers
    mike

1. 06/02/2013 at 17:40

I’m getting to it with the configuration. I haven’t done anything regarding config in Plasma or QML before, so it might take me a couple of days.
      If there’s interest, I might move the repo somewhere in playground, so more people can fiddle with it

4. anoneemouse
    07/02/2013 at 03:37

That is a really nice looking clock! Nice work.

5. 18/02/2013 at 12:24

hi

works fine on opensuse 12.3 with kde 4.10.
    realy thanks !!!!!!!

i’have installed system-info too.

but something goes wrong because when i déco/reco my kde session, the policy clock size is the same than the system-info one……..

i try to close the plasmoid and re open and i’ts ok but each time i deco/reco i have to do this……

regards

jluce

1. 19/02/2013 at 15:02

Do you mean the size of the font in the clock plasmoid is the standard font?
      I’ve seen this happen and I’m still trying to figure out a way to fix it. It’s got something to do with the value of the size not receiving the proper signal.
      All I had to do was resize the plasmoid, and then it behaves correctly. Still an annoyance that I’ll try to fix.

2. 20/02/2013 at 19:21

I fixed the problem, if you update from git, it should start with the right size